Appropriate for approximately 9+ months
What is not to love about pudding?! This was one of my favourite recipes for Sterling beginning around 9-months old. It is gentle on the digestive system + is chocker block full of (some of) the essential nutrients babies need within the first year of life.
- Avocado + coconut oil (blissful fats for baby brains)
- Organic cacao powder (blissful iron for baby bodies)
- Medjool dates (blissful minerals for baby bones)
We still enjoy this recipe on the regular – it is a nutritive toddler treat or energy-boosting after school snack for all ages.
Speaking from (daily) experience, this is also quite lovely when diluted with two shots of espresso.
At Sterling’s first birthday, because I didn’t give him some of the more typical ingredients found in birthday cake yet (like gluten, dairy, or sugar) I made this pudding for The Littlest at the party. I decorated their bowls with flowers and it was just magical.
We had messy babies with full bellies. It was….awesome.
Baby’s First (Superfood) Pudding!
- 2 cups water
- 1 avocado
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 2 TBSP raw organic unsweetened cacao powder
- Pinch of real vanilla powder or dash of alcohol-free vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 pitted Medjool dates
- 1 – 2 TBSP hemp hearts (optional)
- Blend until smooth.
* Add to small mason jars (or similar), then place in fridge allowing coconut oil to solidify (approx 30 minutes). Or, skip this step + dive right in!
* Medjool dates are typically softer + sweeter than most other dates making them the ideal choice for this recipe. If you have particularly stiff dates, soak them in water (right in the blender) for 30 minutes.
* You may like to experiment with the water to fat ratio. I love a very thick product when this is blended as it is easier to manage on the spoon for the babes. Or, if you’re like my niece (bottom left in picture), you’ll skip the spoon and double fist it.
Baby-Led vs Purees Click HERE
- An energizing superfood due to its impressively high mineral content.
- Highest concentration of antioxidants of ANY food in the world – by weight more than red wine, blueberries, acai, pomegranates + goji berries COMBINED.
- One of the highest magnesium containing foods known.
- 1 ounce of cacao provides 300% RDA of iron (for adults).
- Rich in zinc – a trace mineral important for the immune system + involved in thousands of enzymatic reactions in the body.