My baby ate so much butternut squash when we started him on solids, that it actually became his nickname! Squash is divinely nutritious for little ones + very easy to digest. In fact, it is one of my favourites for baby’s first foods.
Using bone broth as a base adds to the overall nutritional content + is very nourishing to their gut lining which becomes an important aspect of nutrition when introducing solids.
I prefer to hold off for about 6 weeks upon starting solids, before making blends or combinations such as this. For brand new bites, try roasting a squash then puree with a healthy fat (coconut oil), bone or vegetable broth + VOILA!
World’s Healthiest Baby Food!
This recipe is quick + easy to make! It is versatile (Moms + Babes + Kids), in season right now + NUTRITIOUS DELICIOUS. The magical touch is definitely the homemade bone broth for your base! None in stock? Please visit my friends at The Gut Lab!
- 3 TBSP Coconut Oil or Grass-fed Butter
- 2 Yellow Onions (peeled + chopped)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (peeled + chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Salt (see note)
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala or Favourite Curry Powder
- 1 Large Butternut Squash (peeled + chopped)
- 4 Cups Organic Bone Broth (or bouillon cube in a pinch!)
- Heat coconut oil / onion / garlic – cook 10 min
- Add salt / pepper / spice
- Add squash – cook 10 min
- Add bone broth – cook 25 min
- Let cool
- Blend or process until smooth
- Use a glass baby bottle + snip the nipple to an approbate size
- Watch Baby Guzzle!